Lean Link Lunch – April 15, 2015
Hi there folks! We’ve had great audiences the last few months, and we’ve engaged in some really meaningful discussions pertaining to real needs in our workplaces and implementation of the topics presented. This is exactly why we meet! Part of the reason our group exists is to share what we do well and where we struggle as we strive to be the best at what we do…our Lean Link group is a forum that supports those discussions and helps us all drive toward better business practices while helping our businesses become more robust. We meet the third Wednesday of each month at noon. We look forward to seeing you on April 15 in Elmer’s conference room!
In response to recent discussions, our April meeting features Derek Lindahl from OMEP on the topic of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM). TPM is defined by www.leanproduction.com as “a holistic approach to equipment maintenance that strives to achieve perfect production with no breakdowns, no small stops or slow running, and no defects” while valuing “a safe working environment. TPM emphasizes proactive and preventive maintenance to maximize the operational efficiency of equipment and places a strong emphasis on empowering operators to help maintain their equipment.”
Derek is OMEP’s resident machine maintenance expert and has a wealth of knowledge to share with our group! Check out his bio here:
After 20 years with the US Air Force as an Aircraft Machinist and Welder, Derek brings to OMEP an additional 18 years of diverse experience in manufacturing engineering and management. His expertise in maintenance management, process improvement and innovation in machining, fabricating and assembly complement his operational excellence expertise. Derek is a “hands on” facilitator with a passion for continuous improvement that allows him to quickly identify improvement opportunities and drive positive change. He has an in-depth understanding of ISO quality systems and can aide in your OSHA/OROSHA safety concerns.
Past Relevant Experience
· US Electrical Motors & Phelps Dodge Magnet Wire-World Class Maintenance Management
· Federal-Mogul-Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED), Visual Controls
· Franklin Electric-Process improvement, plant layout, Total Productive Maintenance, CNC Machine acquisition, lean implementation
· Independent Mobility Systems-Kanban, one-piece-flow, product enhancement, jig and fixture design
· ATI Wah Chang-Culture Change and lean implementation with a unionized workforce
· Greenbrier Rail Service-Leadership development, culture change and lean implementation in non-union job shops
· B.S. Industrial Engineering, Southern Illinois, Carbondale
· A.S. Aircraft Metals Technology, Community College of the Air Force
· Certified Lean Manager, Ohio State University & Productivity Inc.
We’re meeting on Wednesday, April 15th at noon in Elmer’s conference room. We’ll see you there!
As always, please consider sending any requests or suggestions for discussion topics or training to: Kristi Smith Consultant (OMEP) email@example.com.